Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Introduction to a Soon to be Grad!

Hello there!

My name is Baylie Locke and I'm a senior biology major here at the University of Oklahoma. The plan is to graduate this spring, so here's hoping that that stays put! My ultimate goal is to be a veterinarian with a focus in marine animals, but that's a bit down the road. I am currently waiting for responses from a few different vet schools I applied to, and I'm hoping to start at one this fall.

In the meantime, I work at an animal hospital here in Norman as a veterinary technician and I love my job! Getting to interact with the animals is obviously the best part, but my job isn't all puppies and kittens like most people assume. It's tough work and can really take a toll on you, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I myself do have a dog named Lily, she's a Cocker spaniel who I love with my whole heart. I think she actually believes she is a human, her personality is so striking and she will sit up on the couch and watch TV or movies with us, barking when something exciting is going down.

(Lily watching Supernatural with me)

I am the chaplain for my sorority, Sigma Phi Lambda, which is my main time consumer. I love getting to know the girls and being able to meet with them where they are as we grow together. I'm a super shy person and would have laughed if you told me I was going to be an officer this time last year, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm so glad that I followed what God was wanting from me in this time, as I feel it's really shaped this year for me and has given me such room to grow. 

I love to read when I get time, I am currently rereading the Harry Potter series. I don't often reread books, so you know that if you see me reading it more than once that it's one of my favorites. I also really enjoy superheroes, Doctor Who, and pretty much the majority of other science-fiction fandoms you can come up with. I take pride in the fact that I am now roping my little sister, Cheyanne, into also enjoying these things. I think she first started watching the shows and movies with me solely to be like me, but now she's starting to genuinely like them herself which I think is really cool! If I'm not doing schoolwork or working on something for Phi Lamb, I am likely with Cheyanne (she is my favorite person, after all), cherishing the bit of time with her I have left living at home in Norman. 

(Cheyanne relishing the warmer weather of months past)

That brings me to the fact that I do live at home, which is super convenient and helpful, although this is definitely not where I'm originally from. I've lived in nine different places, but I did most of my growing up in Farmington, New Mexico. My first year of college, my family moved to Norman and I went off to school in North Carolina. I ended up not finding my place at the university and transferred to OU, which has become my home. My family has always been OU fans, and I think I was meant to end up here, I just had to take my own detour first!

(A couple friends and me in Pasadena for the Rose Bowl before things got sad)


17 comments:

  1. Hello Baylie! Your dog is so adorable! I wanted to be an dog trainer when I was younger but decided to make that a hobby instead. Your so lucky that you get to work with animals all day long. Although I have never worked at a pet hospital I did volunteer with a couple animal rescues and I agree with you about how it's not just playing with puppies and kittens. It definitely is a lot of hard work but worth it. I like how close you are with your sister, I have a little brother here at OU but we don't hang out much but when we do, we like to watch funny videos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how great that you want to be a veterinarian, Baylie! And that you are already working as a vet tech! Fabulous! The vet we take our cats to is really wonderful, and her techs are so friendly and knowledgeable too. And your Lily is such a cutie; maybe she will make an appearance in one of your stories for class this semester!

    Maybe you and Cheyenne could even be time-traveling companions of the Doctor who go to India... with a TARDIS all things are possible after all! The way that the Time Lords are able to regenerate is kind of like the multiple lives that the Indian gods have in their different incarnations... although they don't always take human forms! If you are curious about that, here are the ten most famous incarnations of Vishnu, known as the Dashavatara, the Ten-Avatars. And he has more than that, including one incarnation as a woman: Mohini! Very cool stuff, and I hope it will inspire you to imagine your own shape-shifting, supernatural wibbily wobbly timey wimey adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Baylie! It was pretty cool to hear that you are a biology student that is pre-vet! I don't meet to many people on campus that have an interest in vet school. I have a few friends that are in vet school as OSU and one that has recently graduated and they love what they do. Sure it is tough but I'm sure the reward of helping animals and doing what you love is well worth it. Well, congrats on graduating and good luck with your final classes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Baylie! Even though I have never met you, just by reading your Introduction blog, I can witness your passion for animals and wanting to help them that I think you will become a fabulous vet one day! I love how close you are to your little sister. I have a younger sister who is a sophomore here at OU and we extremely close as well. I think it is neat to have a best friend built-in a sister! :) I am sorry things did not work out at North Carolina, but I am glad you found your OU family! As always, Boomer Sooner!! :)

    ReplyDelete

  5. Hey Baylie, it must be a lot of fun and take a lot of determination to work with animals. I think being a veterinarian is a much harder profession than a doctor because your patients cannot tell you what is wrong with them. Having two dogs of my own, I do not know what I would do without their vet. I have also reread the Harry Potter books many times. Even though I know the endings of each book, I still get sad when one of the main characters dies or as the group slowly grows up. Good luck on your last semester and getting into a veterinarian school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Baylie! Love your dog, she's adorable. I think being a vet is a really awesome profession to follow. I'm also a big fan of just about any sci-fi fandom, and have also read Harry Potter quite a few times myself. It just reminds me of childhood, and makes me happy! Maybe you could somehow make a story for this class based off of something from Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Baylie, I remember we had Physics lab together and then Physics during the summer! I hope you're doing well. That's so awesome how you are on the pursuit to being a veterinarian. I love animals and I hope to raise a Samoyed puppy someday. Although I am not, my older sister is an avid Harry Potter fan so I can somewhat understand your admiration for the series. Best of luck with the semester and early congrats because I know you'll get accepted to vet school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Baylie! First off, congrats on graduating soon and best of luck with Vet school. Your dog is absolutely adorable, and I completely understand what you mean when you say she thinks she is a person. My dog does too! I cannot imagine being a vet. You have to be really smart, because your patients cannot talk. I am jealous that you will get to hang out with pets all the time. Good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Baylie! I love your introduction so much and I am so proud that you shared your faith in Jesus on this page! That is truly amazing! You seem to have a full and interesting life! It is so cool that you love animals so much and are interested in vet school! I have a lot of friends in vet school at OSU and they absolutely love it! I hope you get into your dream school!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Baylie! Congratulations on graduating soon, that must be so exciting! I’m sad that I won’t see you around anymore. I wish you lots of luck on getting into your dream Vet school! Lily is too adorable! I love that you’ll get to work with animals in the future. I am also a huge fan of superhero shows and movies.

    ReplyDelete

  11. Hey there Baylie! Cool introduction you got there and you are also a veterinarian it even more cooler. I am also big fan sci-fi genre, for example star war and marvel like Guardian of Galaxy. I haven’t read any of the Harry Potter book but I am a fan of Harry Potter movies, I pretty much watch them all. I know reading is better than watching but so much to read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Baylie! I have to say how adorable your puppy is; that snout is so precious. The Harry Potter series has always impressed me with its re-readability! I read them as a kid and years later couldn't believe how much I enjoyed them again. Never tried Doctor Who, but it's on my list. Good luck with vet schools and glad to have you in the class!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to meet you Bailey!
    I think it's awesome you want to be a vet! The most important thing to me in this world are animals. They are perfect. I also love anything science fiction, including Dr. Who. If you have not already I would highly reccomend Black Mirror on Netflix, although maybe skip the first epsiode. It is kind of weird haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Baylie! I'm a big dog guy so I loved seeing your puppy. It makes sense that you would want to be a vet and that's awesome! I hope you enjoy every minute of it. Good luck on post-grad life and getting into vet school!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Baylie! My little sister (21, but still little to me!) is also interested in the vet track. It's a field of work your really have to have your heart in, because it is hard work seeing animals suffering if you're a bleeding heart (as all vets are!).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Baylie, nice to meet you. Best of luck graduating this spring and getting into a vet school. I am sure that must be hard. Its great that you are trying to do something that you are so passionate about. Your dog is really cute. I do not have a sister. I also enjoy sci-fi themed stuff, it is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Baylie!
    I really like the design and layout of your blog and I feel like incorporating personal photos into your introduction was a nice touch! Your dog Lily is so cute and I think it’s so sweet that she watches TV with you. I hope you are having a great semester so far and I can’t wait to explore the rest of your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Tech Tip: Behappy.me

I've been using Canva tonight to make different graphics, but I thought I would try another site to see what my experience was like with...