Thursday, January 25, 2018

Week 2 Story: The Nervous Student

Once upon a time, on a warm and sunny day, a student was taking a cat nap under a tree on the South Oval.

(My personal favorite tree to pass an afternoon away under, across from George Lynn Cross Hall. Image Source)

Her graduation date was just a few weeks away, but her dreams were plagued by exams and due dates standing between her and her diploma. There was so much to get done before she could walk across that stage, and this bit of stray sleep was the little she had gotten in the past week.

Suddenly, she awoke with a start and scrambled for her planner, exclaiming "Oh no! My biochemistry exam is first thing tomorrow morning and I've forgotten all about it!" She jumped up, stuffed her things clumsily into her backpack, and ran for Bizzell Library.

On the way, one of her classmates saw her running and asked her why she was in such a hurry. The student did not stop to respond to her friend, but shouted that their test was looming and she was absolutely unprepared. At once, her friend's face dropped and she too turned and ran toward the library, declaring that she had no idea the test was the next morning.

Before the girls knew it, a crowd of 15 other students were busting through the doors of Bizzell and frantically searching for a table to spread their notes out on for comparison. They all hurriedly began sharing their mnemonic devices and study tips, trying to cram in as much information as they could in the little time they had left.

Not long after, Dr. Najar stopped by their table and asked, "Why do you all look so panicked, what is wrong?"

"Professor, we are scrambling to prepare for your exam in the morning, none of us realized the big day was already here!" they all answered in unison.

Dr. Najar chuckled with a twinkle in his eye and replied, "I'm thrilled to see you all studying so diligently, but the exam is next Friday, not tomorrow!"

Then all the students pulled out their syllabus to find out that the nervous student had simply written the wrong day into her own planner. They all laughed at their silliness and went back to their business, resolving to study for the test in the time they had left, rather than waiting until the last minute.

Author's Note:
This story is based off "The Foolish, Timid, Rabbit," a classic "The sky is falling!" story. Basically, a rabbit is hit in the head with a coconut while sleeping and decides that the only explanation is that the world is falling apart, so he begins running with no particular destination in mind. Other animals along the way see his terror and decide that they too must run, because the earth is supposedly breaking up. It isn't until they confront the wise lion who recognizes the rabbit's mistake that the animals stop their running and move on with their days. I thought it'd be funny to tell a similar story from a student's worst nightmare - forgetting an exam. I know mine and other student's eyes have widened in horror at the realization that an exam or due date is closer than we realize, so I took this experience and exaggerated it to the likes of "The Foolish, Timid, Rabbit."

Bibliography:
"The Foolish, Timid, Rabbit" from Jataka Tales by Ellen C. Babbitt.

2 comments:

  1. Love your story Baylie!

    I think anyone in college can relate to the panic your character feels in this story. I know I've had nightmares about this kind of thing haha. I really liked how you made the story short and sweet, but still full of a lot of charm. The dialog also came out really similar to some of the traditional dialog we've seen, which I thought was really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baylie, I just finished your story and I was wondering... is this suppose to be a horror story!? haha I have woken up in the middle of the night worried that I forgot the dates of my exams. I loved how you were able to change pretty much the whole original story and make it more human. Something all of us students could get. It was also very impressive to me that you were able to use two different stories and make them work so well together. What if the girl in the story would have thought that the test was that day and was so worried until she got to class and saw a regular lecture slide on the screen. That would be a relief! Anyways I really enjoyed this story and was impressed with the real life situation you were able to incorporate. Keep us the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete

Tech Tip: Behappy.me

I've been using Canva tonight to make different graphics, but I thought I would try another site to see what my experience was like with...