Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Wikipedia Trail: From Sati to the Pollyanna Principle


  • I just read all about Shiva, so I thought it would be interesting to start my trail reading about Sati. 
    • Sati: Sati is the first wife of Shiva, and her later reincarnations are his later wives. She is the goddess of longevity and bliss in Hinduism. She plays a big part in bringing Shiva away from his isolation and getting him to interact with the other gods and the rest of the world, until she dies and sends Shiva into a rage, of course. 
(Shiva carrying Sati's body after her death; Image Source)
  • Sati contained yogic powers, which brought me to my next article.
    • Yoga: A group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices from ancient India meant for meditation and spiritual focus. In the late 20th century, it became a popular form of Western exercise, but that is not at all true to its roots. It was likely developed in the 6th century BC as a form of worship.
  • The article mentioned yoga being studied as a potential treatment for schizophrenia, which I thought would be an interesting article. 
    • Schizophrenia: A mental disorder classified by abnormal behavior and a failure to distinguish reality. People with schizophrenia often see themselves as experiencing a distorted reality, struggling with false beliefs, confused thinking, hearing voices, and struggling to relate with others in social constructs. There are many treatments for schizophrenia and efforts are being made to help those individuals who have schizophrenia. 
  • People with schizophrenia often tend to remember words in a list equally regardless of their connotation, which is different from the norm, leading to my final article. 
    • Pollyanna Principle: Also known as positive bias, the Pollyanna principle is the tendency for people to remember more pleasant items or words than unpleasant ones. It is thought that this occurs subconsciously, and this principle fades when mental disorders come into play. The article discussed that the subconscious mind has a tendency to focus on the positive, while the conscious mind often dwells on the negative which I found to be quite interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Behappy.me

I've been using Canva tonight to make different graphics, but I thought I would try another site to see what my experience was like with...