Monday, April 9, 2018

Wikipedia Trail: From White Elephants to Final Fantasy


  • One of the Jataka tales this past week talked about a white elephant and I figured it was referencing an albino elephant or something along those lines, so I thought I would begin there. 
    • White Elephant: This term generally isn't referencing the elephant's color at all, but rather it's beauty and purity. Most "white" elephants have a soft brown color with fair features and are gentle in nature. In paintings, the elephants are generally painted snow white, but this is a misconception, even those who are albino are pink, and many so called "white elephants" are not albinos at all.  
  • Indra owned a white elephant named Airavata, which took me to my next article. 
    • Airavata: Indra's white elephant with five heads. He is the king of all elephants and can even fly. One of his names means "the one who knits or binds the clouds," because traditional tales have told stories of Airavata's trunks creating the clouds. 
(Airavata; Image Source)
  • Airavata is a character in a popular Japanese video game series, which brought me to the next article.
    • Megami Tensei: A Japanese video game franchise developed by Sega consisting of multiple series of various role playing games. The game took its original storyline from a book, but it has grown from there into its own franchise and being. The story is shaped by the player's choices as they can fight and recruit other characters and make their own decisions. 
  • In looking at Japanese game series, this article also mentioned the Final Fantasy series which brought me to my final article.
    • Final Fantasy: Final Fantasy is a Japanese video game, but it is popular across the world (and happens to be a favorite game of my brothers and me). Most of the games are stand alone, but there are some story arcs that last throughout different installments, so it's fun to play the games in order if possible. The Kingdom Hearts series was also a spinoff, which is one of my very favorite games. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Behappy.me

I've been using Canva tonight to make different graphics, but I thought I would try another site to see what my experience was like with...