Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Three Favorite Storybooks

To be honest, I have no prior knowledge of Indian epics, so most of the things I've seen in regards to this class have been completely new to me. I've recognized some names of the gods, but reading about their stories and personalities through the different storybooks has been a whole new experience. It was hard for me to pick three favorites of the Storybooks, because they were all so interesting and well told, but here are three that caught my eye!

(Haunted Mansion in Disney World; Web Source)

The first story that appeared on my screen also happened to be my favorite of all the ones I looked at! It was The House to a Wife of Many, which told an intriguing story about a grand house and its mysterious inhabitants of generations past. The creator of this Storybook crafted her own story, and tied it back to Indian Epics in the author's notes at the end of each section, explaining how the story of Betsy was based on the epics of India, including the gods themselves, principles of karma, and other facets of Indian culture. I liked the incorporation of a journal as a storytelling feature, and the layout of these sections helped me understand how to follow the story. 

(Hogwarts Classroom; Web Source)

The next Storybook I found interesting was Hogwarts: The Loyalty of Brothers. I am a big fan of Harry Potter, so the title drew me into this story, but the storytelling kept me interested in discovering more about the brothers who defeated Lord Ravana and the fate of the students who would have to face him again. I really liked the layout of this page, with the large pictures and different interactive features allowing you to feel immersed in the story as you follow along with the adventures of the students. I think that I would also like to incorporate more interactive features into my stories to allow readers to relate more and place themselves within the narrative.

(Group Therapy Session; Web Source)

The third Storybook I really enjoyed was Character Therapy, which took a really neat approach to telling the stories of four different women in Indian Epics by having representations of their character attend group therapy, where stories similar to their own were told and their reactions were viewed from an outside perspective. I thought this telling made the story easy to follow and was an interesting way to look at how the characters in the stories may react to their own tales and fates. I thought the format of the page was also really neat, with it all appearing to be written on notebook paper. This incorporation of the theme throughout helped tie the story together I thought, and something like this may be useful for my own project!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Behappy.me

I've been using Canva tonight to make different graphics, but I thought I would try another site to see what my experience was like with...