Friday, March 30, 2018

Week 10 Story: A Little Love

Hastin was the meanest kid on the playground. If any other kid had the audacity to look at him strangely, Hastin was ready to fight. He was the strongest kid at Mathura Elementary and the other students quickly learned to stay out of his way. One day at lunch, an arrogant fifth grader, Richie, decided he would try and provoke Hastin to get him expelled. He began to shoot spit balls at Hastin and mocked the way he looked and spoke. Hastin began to get really angry, but then one of the smallest fourth graders sat down right next to him.

"Hiya, my name is Krishna! I'm new to this school and could really use a friend, can I sit here?"

Hastin was baffled by this small boy coming to sit by him, but he grunted out a "sure" and got back to his rectangle pizza. Krishna carried on the conversation, with Hastin replying with mostly grunts and nods. When the bell rang for recess, Krishna asked Hastin if he would like to stay inside with him and go to the music room. Hastin, still amazed by Krishna's kindness, agreed.

Hastin realized quickly that Krishna was a very talented musician and asked if he could play some of his favorite songs on the flute. Krishna happily obliged and Hastin was singing along by the end of recess.

(Krishna playing for Hastin; Image Source)

This continued for the next couple of weeks, with Hastin growing more and more friendly to those around him. He explained to Krishna what it was like at home for him and that he was mean to kids at school so that they didn't have a chance to be mean first. Krishna patted his friend on the back and reminded him that violence was never the way. Hastin chuckled and agreed with his new friend, thanking the gods that Krishna transferred to Mathura Elementary.

Author's Note:
This story is inspired by Episode 12 of the Epified Krishna videos, "Krishna Rides Hastin." I decided to make Hastin a misunderstood bully who everyone was scared of, and that some even antagonized just to get a reaction. These character traits are fairly constant with the original, but he is now a boy rather than a bull. I thought it would be neat to have Krishna display his kindness to Hastin and show the transformation that can occur when someone is kind, because this story is just as applicable to people as it is to bulls.

2 comments:

  1. Really interesting story and interpretation on the source material. I also wrote about episode 12 and its always neat to see how different people can branch from the some start point. I liked how you kept the positive message of the original. I liked how short this story was but I think it would be easy to extend if you wanted to use it for your project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Baylie!
    I really enjoyed reading your story “A Little Love.” I liked how you incorporated a little dialogue between your characters. I also thought it was neat of you to change the main character into a human boy instead of a bull. Further, the image you used complemented your story really well! Overall, I think you did a great job on your story and I can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete

Tech Tip: Behappy.me

I've been using Canva tonight to make different graphics, but I thought I would try another site to see what my experience was like with...