Sunday, February 4, 2018

Feedback Strategies

The first article I read was "How to Give Students Specific Feedback that Actually Helps Them Learn." As a student, this article was very relatable, in that feedback must be structured in a certain way to be helpful. It's always great to get an A on a paper, but it's even better when the grader takes the time to say what parts really worked for them and why, as well as which parts could be stronger. The same goes with a lower grade on an assignment. If the grader doesn't tell me why I was graded this way, there is no way to improve. I agree with this article in that feedback should be transparent, actionable, specific, and ongoing. Feedback that tells me how to improve and grow is much more helpful than that which just says that I met the assignment guidelines.

Next, I looked at "What Kind of Messages Help Kids Grow?" I don't fully agree that giving generic praise is going to be super detrimental to a child's growth, but I do agree that certain kinds of praises are better than others. I've noticed that with my little sister, she gets more out of if I point out exactly what I like that she did rather than just saying "good job."

(Feedback should help grow your brain, rather than limiting 
it to "talent;" Image Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Behappy.me

I've been using Canva tonight to make different graphics, but I thought I would try another site to see what my experience was like with...