Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Reading Notes: PDE Ramayana, Section C

Vali's Death
By: Romesh Dutt
I see why this chapter is so controversial, as this whole story line made me a bit sad. I know it explained why Sugriva and Vali had fought, but honestly I don't see why Rama and Lakshmana encouraged Sugriva to go take on Vali again and continue the hatred between brothers. Then we reach this chapter, in which Sugriva and Vali are fighting to the death until Rama steps in and murders Vali. It just seems like the other times that Rama has killed, it has been justified, but in this story line, there was no reason for the brothers to ever fight again, and Rama seems to kill Vali in cold blood. I just feel like this was unnecessary and takes away from some of the godlike characteristics that have been bestowed upon Rama throughout the entire epic. However, we must also remember that Rama is still a human avatar of a god, so he is bound to make mistakes, but it just let me down a little more than expected.

Hanuman in Lanka
By: Sister Nivedita
Hanuman has leaped across the whole ocean to arrive in Lanka, a golden and treasure filled city. The city is described as a woman, which I thought provided excellent imagery in imagining the kingdom. Hanuman traveled from house to house looking for Sita, and he even goes to Ravana's bedroom to see Ravana sleeping on his bejeweled bed, but Sita is not there. After further searching and still not finding Sita, Hanuman resolves that she is dead.

Sita and Ravana
By: Sister Nivedita
Ravana visits Sita and tries to seduce her using every trick in the book, offering power, wealth, pleasantries, etc. but Sita refuses his every effort. Despite her horrible predicament, Sita is still fully committed to Rama and refuses to betray him, even in the face of torture and death.

(Ravana trying to persuade Sita; Image Source)

Vibhishana
By: Donald A. Mackenzie
This is an interesting turn of events, with Vibhishana, Ravana's own brother, joining Rama's forces. Rama mentioned that the rakshasas have magic, so I wonder if Vibhishana will be able to contribute in that way. Nonetheless, he will be a powerful ally in that he knows the ins and outs of Lanka, as well as knowing his brother quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Behappy.me

I've been using Canva tonight to make different graphics, but I thought I would try another site to see what my experience was like with...