Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Reading Notes: PDE Ramayana, Section D

Today's the day I finish the Ramayana! To be fully transparent, I didn't really expect to enjoy it this much because I thought it would be difficult to understand and relate to. These past couple of weeks have proven to be a pleasant surprise as I've really enjoyed the story and been able to understand the characters and their motivations. Here's to being pleasantly surprised for the remainder of the semester!

Lakshmana and Indrajit
By: Romesh Dutt
This chapter is where we really see the power of having Vibhishan on Rama's side. He was able to tell Rama of the deception that Ravana and Indrajit were using to try and distress him, then he is able to give Rama and Lakshmana advice on how to proceed. I really enjoyed the dialogue here between uncle and nephew, Vibhishan and Indrajit. I thought it was interesting how Indrajit tried to condemn Vibhihshan as a betrayer, but Vibhishan quickly put him in his place and proclaimed the sins of all of Lanka, separating himself from his kin. Of course this chapter ends with the death of Indrajit by Lakshmana's hand, which seems a long time coming.

(Lakshmana taking his final aim at Indrajit; Image Source)

Indra's Chariot
By: Romesh Dutt
Considering the gods were the ones who were calling for Ravana's defeat so adamantly that Vishnu was born as Dasharatha's four sons, I've been wondering if they were ever going to show up to aid Rama and Lakshmana in this deadly battle. This chapter finally gives some relief to that question, as Indra sends aid to Rama in the war. We finally see a glimmer of hope here in this battle that Rama seemed to have been losing, as he now has new celestial weapons and a mighty chariot to go forth and slay Ravana with.

(Mayhem in Lanka as the battle rages; Image Source)

Sita and Rama
By: Sister Nivedita
I'm honestly so disgusted with Rama. In my research for my project, I knew that Rama was going to reject Sita because she had been in the dwelling of another man, but it made this blow no less knowing it was going to happen. I suppose it is a sign of the times, but it is just so awful that this noble and just man, a god personified, would punish his loving wife for being kidnapped. She refused Ravana's attempts and stayed in the trees isolated, waiting for Rama to rescue her, yet he still casts her out because he's concerned with dishonor. I would have just hoped that he would care more about the woman who followed him into exile and lived in misery for years than he would care about the thoughts of the few who would dishonor him for taking Sita in. Whereas the death of Vali is seen as one of the most controversial points in Rama's character, I feel like his treatment of Sita here takes the cake.

(Rama and Sita likely discussing her exile; Image Source)

Valmiki's Hermitage
By: Donald A. Mackenzie
Even after Sita proves her innocence in the fire, the gods vehemently defend her to Rama, and Rama and Sita could have had their happily ever after, Rama still gives in to the whispering of men and ends up exiling Sita. As I mentioned in the last paragraph, I'm so disappointed by this action, because it shows that Rama cares more about his own pride and reputation more than his wife who sacrificed everything for him. Thank goodness Valmiki was there for Sita and took her into his hermitage so that she did not have to wander the forests as she had for the past 14 years. When Rama goes to perform the Ashwamedha 16 years later, his sons (that he knows nothing about) are the ones to capture the horse and defeat many of Rama's men, including Lakshmana.

(Valmiki teaching Lava and Kusha, Sita's sons, to sing 
the songs of Rama; Image Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Behappy.me

I've been using Canva tonight to make different graphics, but I thought I would try another site to see what my experience was like with...