Sunday, February 4, 2018

Topic Research: Sita

In thinking about topics for my semester project this week, I think I'm leaning more towards focusing on Sita. I really like the idea I came up with of Sita writing to her sons via a journal or letters retelling the adventures of her life, from the exciting to the heartbreaking. I think it'd be cool to have these be from her perspective because I could really dive into her emotions and what she learned from different periods in her life, as well as have her passing on advice to her sons. Considering Sita stayed with Valmiki during her time of exile, he would likely have encouraged her to write her story down, as he is the inventor of poetry.

One of the stories I could tell through this project would be of when Rama and Sita first meet. Sita prays that evening that the goddess grants her wish of being with Rama, which then ends up being the case when Rama wins her hand. This would be a good account for Sita's sons so that they know how their parents fell in love despite never having seen them be together. 

Another story I would like for Sita to tell is her capture by Ravana. She was so strong in resisting Ravana because of her love for Rama. This has messages of bravery and loyalty that would be worthwhile to pass on to her sons. 

A third story that Sita could tell would be the heartbreak of being banished by her husband Rama, who she had waited for and been faithful to. I watched a bit of "Sita Sings the Blues" dedicated to this part of Sita's story, and I think this film would be worthwhile to watch in its entirety. For this specific story, I can't imagine the feeling of desperation Sita felt while being exiled by her love because he can't trust her. Sita is such a strong woman and this story really shows her strength even amidst her hopelessness. Even after this hurt, Sita still allows Valmiki to teach her sons to sing the songs of Rama, rather than being bitter toward him.

(Valmiki teaching Lava and Kusha of Rama; Image Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Tip: Behappy.me

I've been using Canva tonight to make different graphics, but I thought I would try another site to see what my experience was like with...